And for the last few years, it has been Fedora.

g.b | Τρί, 06/23/2009 - 19:31 | 5' | 8

κάπου το σκάλωσα και το ποστάρω γιατί μου άρεσε...

συνέντευξη του Linus

DW: Linus, thank you very much for finding the time to talk to us during your busy schedule. It's greatly appreciated! I'm sure that many of our readers will be interested to know which Linux distribution you use and why? What do you like about it and what do you think needs improvement? Do you use the same distribution for your work machines as well as play machines?

LT: Since I only really "use" a very limited set of programs, my choice of distribution is pretty arbitrary. My main requirement is that it's fairly easy to install and keep up-to-date, just so that I can mostly ignore it.

And the "keep up-to-date" part really means that I want the distro itself to be up-to-date and have good coverage (including things like making it easy to get Flash, MP3 and other plugins); otherwise it would just degenerate into me having to work at getting/compiling user-land components that I really don't care too much about.

And yes, I want to use the same distribution for my own work machines as I end up using for the other machines in the household (i.e. kids and wife), for all the same reasons - I care about the kernel (and a very few other programs), the rest I just want the distribution to handle for me.

As an example of some small detail that I want the distribution to handle for me, and that I want to get handled in a timely fashion: I ended up upgrading our DSLR [camera] after our old one was finally three generations behind. So I expect the distro to have support for RAW format, and I expect it to be recent, and support the latest-generation UFRaw [program]. And again - if it isn't, the distribution is worthless to me.

At the same time, I want to be able to feel like the distribution isn't just a random pick of bleeding-edge programs gotten out of the 'random SVN repo of the day' kind of thing. Mistakes will happen, but I want to feel that the distribution tries to be up-to-date without doing totally crazy things.

What that results in is that I want one of the "large enough" community distributions that I can trivially download, install and update over the net, and that is proactive but not crazy about updating. That pretty much narrows it down to openSUSE and Fedora, with Ubuntu being a possible third one.

And for the last few years, it has been Fedora.

Δώσε αστέρια!

MO: (ψήφοι: 0)

Σχόλια

Fedora................αληθειααααααααααααα!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Εγω περημενα κατι σε Arch, Gentoo, Debian κτλ..................Ε τον Linus!!!!!!!!!!

Sabayon 4.1!!!!!!!

διαβάστε και αυτό....  (μην με φάτε - παίζει να είναι fake ? )

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=439858

=========================================================

Εμενα μου αρεσει για την ταχυτητα , adkms[nvidia] k το εκπληκτικο selinux.Αν ειχε κ τον αριθμο των πακετων debian, τον synaptic,κ την ευχρηστια των ρυθμισεων του yast θα ηταν ΤΕΛΕΙΟ

Μάλιστα. Να κάνω μια ερώτηση: η fedora παίζει out of the box mp3? Στα αποθετήτηρια τα επίσημα πάντως δε βρίσκεις plugin για mp3, απο ότι έχω διαβάσει δηλαδή  

mitsaras77]Μάλιστα. Να κάνω μια ερώτηση: η fedora παίζει out of the box mp3? Στα αποθετήτηρια τα επίσημα πάντως δε βρίσκεις plugin για mp3, απο ότι έχω διαβάσει δηλαδή  

ο κωδικας του mp3 ειναι ιδιοκτητος και καμια διανομη δεν το βαζει στα επισημα repos για να μην μπλεξει με αγωγες

http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-users/2009-June/000414.html

Δεν το είχα δει αυτό!!!  Ούτε εγώ περίμενα fedora (παρότι είναι η διανομή που χρησιμοποιώ τα τελευταία χρόνια...)!!!!!

Για να μη παραμυθιαζομαστε, οι τυποι στη Fedora, ΔΕ δεχονται το Linux σα desktop & οπως αλλωστε δηλωσανε, μεσω του CEO της Red-Hat Jim Whitehurst.

Mαλιστα ο τυπος συν τ' αλλα ειπε πως δεν ειναι στους στοχους της εταιρειας πια το dektop,  διοτι συμφωνα με τον ιδιο παντα,ειναι κριμα ν' αγοραει καποιος ενα μηχανημα & βαζοντας Linux, ν' ανακαλυψει πως το μηχανημα του δε δουλευει στην εντελεια.

Να' ναι καλα τα κοροιδα εκει στη κοινοτητα, να τους φτιαχνουν τα bugs & οτι αλλο.

Η δε συνεντευξη του Linus ειναι προφανως πριν τις παραπανω δηλωσεις.

Tωρα αν η Fedora ειναι η μοναδικη διανομη με τοσα ζορια & προβληματα ας το λυσουν οι ιδιοι & ας μη μιλανε γενικοτερα για το Linux.

& σε προσωπικο επιπεδο ειναι μια διανομη που ποτε μα ποτε δε μου εκατσε πουθενα εκει που ενα σωρο αλλες διανομες δουλευανε αψογα & σχεδον out of box!

& εντυπωση μου εχει προκαλεσει ο λιθοβολισμος της Novell, ενω οι συμφωνιες κλπ της RedHat περνανε στα ψιλα!